- Alkanes are chemically less reactive compare to the other carbon compound such as alkene, alcohol or carboxylic acid.
- Alkanes do not react with chemicals such as oxidizing agents, reducing agents, acids and alkalis.
- Alkanes are saturated hydrocarbon with strong carbon-carbon (C – C) bonds and carbon-hydrogen (C – H) bonds.
- All the bonds are single bonds which require a lot of energy to break.
- Alkane just only undergo:
- Combustion reaction
- Substitution reaction (with the presence of ultraviolet light)
Alkanes are chemically less reative because they contain only strong covalent bonds which need a lot of energy to break.