C2H5OH + 2[O] → CH3COOH + H2O
- The oxidising agent used:
- Acidified potassium dichromate(VI)
- Acidified potassium manganate (VII)
- For acidified potassium dichromate(VI), if oxidation occurs, the orange solution containing the dichromate(VI) ions is reduced to a green solution containing chromium(III) ions.
- For acidified potassium manganate (VII), the purple colour of potassium manganate (VII) decolourised.
- The alcohol is heated under reflux with excess oxidising agent.
- The reflux technique used to prevent the alcohol vapour escape to the surrounding.
- When the reaction is complete, the carboxylic acid is distilled off.