- Acids form a class of chemical substances which contain hydrogen ions in aqueous solution, H+ (aq), as the only positive ion.
- Acids are usually classified into mineral or organic acids.
- generally much stronger
- most do not occur naturally
- usually have simpler molecules
- Sulphuric Acid
- Nitric Acid
- Hydrochloric Acid
- Phoshoric Acid
- Carbonic Acid
- naturally occurring
- found in vegetables, fruit and other foodstuffs
- usually weaker and less corrosive
- Ethanoic Acid
- Citric Acid
- Lactic Acid
- Tartaric Acid
- Acetic Acid
- Acids are substances that form hydrogen ions when dissolved in water.
- A hydrogen ion is actually a proton. Therefore, acids are called the proton donors.
The hydrogen ions produced will combine with the water molecule to form hydroxonium ions (H3O+)
Therefore the reaction can also be written as