- Figure above shows the illustration of the designed used to extract sodium in industry by using electrolysis.
- In SPM, you need to know
- the electrolyte used
- the material used as anode and cathode
- the chemical reaction at anode and cathode
ElectrolyteMolten sodium chloride
NaCl ---> Na+ + Cl-
2Cl- ---> Cl2 + 2e
The negative chloride ions are attracted to the anode and then discharged to form chlorine gas.
Na+ + e ---> Na
- The sodium ions are discharged to form sodium atom.
- Due to high temperature, the sodium metal formed is in molten form.
- Metal sodium have lower density. Therefore it moves upward and been collected.