- Ammonia is a compound of nitrogen and hydrogen with the formula NH3.
- It is a colourless gas with a characteristic pungent smell.
- Ammonia is a very important compound in industry.
- Although in wide use, ammonia is both corrosive and hazardous.
Uses of Ammonia
- The uses of ammonia include
- manufacturing nitrogenous fertilisers
- as cooling agent in refrigerator
- to prevent coagulation of latex
- as raw material to manufacture nitric acid (Ostwald process)
- to make explosive
- as cleaning agent to remove grease
(Click on the image to enlarge)