Acids + Metal Carbonate → Salt + Water + Carbon Dioxide Gas
Sulphuric acid + Lime Stone
Nitric acid + Copper(II) Carbonate
Example of Experiment
- About 5 cm³ of dilute sulphuric acid is poured into a test tube.
- One spatula of calcium carbonate powder is added into the test tube.
- The gas released is passed through lime water as shown in the diagram above.
- The observations are recorded
Colourless gas is released. The gas turn lime water chalky.
- Sulphuric acid reacts with calcium carbonate.
- The gas released is carbon dioxide.