- Photochromic glass is very sensitive to light.
- It darkens in the presence of bright light and lightens when the amount of sunlight lessens.
- Conducting glass is a type of glass which can conduct electricity. It is obtained by coating a thin layer of a conducting material around the glass, usually indium tin(IV) oxide.
- It is used in the making of Liquid Crystal Display (LCD)
Car Engine Block
- When clay is heated with magnesium oxide, the ceramic that is produced has a high resistance to heat.
- This material is used to build the engine blocks in cars as they can withstand high temperatures.
- Superconductors are electrical conductors which have almost zero (0) electrical resistance. Therefore, this conductor minimises the loss of electrical energy through heat.
- Yttrium barium copper oxide is a type of ceramic superconductor
- Superconductors are used to make magnets which are light but thousands of times stronger than the normal magnet.