Vulcanisation of Rubber
- Natural rubber is vulcanized to improve its characteristics so that its usage could be wider.
- Vulcanised rubber is rubber that has been heated with sulphur.
- Vulcanised rubber is prepared in the laboratory by soaking the rubber in a solution of disulphur dichloride or sulphur monochloride in methylbenzene.
- Rubber molecules have double covalent bonds.
- Sulphur atoms react with the double bond in the rubber molecules chain to form C-S-S-C cross link between the rubber molecules.
Natural Rubber vs Vulcanised Rubber
|Less elastic||More elastic|
|Non-heat resistance||More heat resistance|
|Low melting point||High melting point|
|Easily oxidised||Resist oxidation|