Oxidation and Reduction in Terms of Electron Transfer
- Oxidation occurs when a reactant loses electron.
- Reduction occurs when a reactant gain of electron.
CuO + Mg → Cu + MgO
In this reaction,
- copper (II) ion in copper(II) oxide gains 2 electrons to form copper metal.
Half equation:Cu2+ + 2e → CuThis is a reduction process.
- Magnesium metal loses 2 electrons to form magnesium ions in magnesium oxide.
Half equation:Mg → Mg2+ + 2eThis is a oxidation process.
- Magnesium is oxidised because it loses2 electrons to form magnesium ion, Mg2+.
- Copper(II) oxide is reduced because copper(II) ion gains 2 electrons to form copper metal, Cu.