- Food additives are substances added to food to preserve it or improve its flavour and appearance.
- Some of the commonly used food additives include preservative, colourants, stabilizers and flavouring.
- The chart below summarise the 4 groups of food additive
Effects of Food Addictive on Health
Food additive have the following effect on health.
- MSG causes chinese restaurant syndrome
- Sodium nitrate/ sodium nitrite causes blue baby syndrome
- Brain Damage
Food additive can disrupt the supply of oxygen to brain and hence cause damage to the brain.
colouant such as tartazine can cause hyperactivity